Monday, March 22, 2010

My St. Patty's Day Partay



The line up!

I had a belated St. Patty's Day party due to the fact that St. Patrick's day was on a Wednesday this year and the stew I was making took four hours to cook. (Yes, you read that right.)

Lately, I have not been a big fan of beef, or at least my stomach hasn't. But the rest of the recipe made this soooo enticing. Guinness beer, parsnips, turnips, etc. I did follow one person's advice on the stew and I used not so many parsnips and turnips and substituted the rest with potatoes.

And of course, I burned the bottom of the pan in the browning process, but no one else can taste it in the stew. (Either I am crazy or they are... )
Try it! - http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1963989



Steaming stew of amazingness!



Steaming stew of amazingness! part 2.



The final product with parsley on top.

And I couldn't pass up the chance to make a turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole. To my surprise, the turkey meatloaf was delicious and moist. Ground turkey does not always make a good substitute for beef. If cooked just a few minutes too long, all the juices drain and you get hockey pucks... seriously.
Pretty amazing. - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1639,154188-242194,00.html

My infamous garlic mashed potatoes (no garlic for Kat) were a hit. This is my mother's simple recipe, doctored a little by me. Here it goes.

INGREDIENTS*
Red Skinned Potatoes - Do NOT peel them.
Sour Cream
Garlic Salt

*Note - there are no measurements for a reason. Also, Red skins are the best potatoes to use, per my grandfather who ran a restaurant.

Cut potatoes in half or quarters so they cook quicker. Boil potatoes in salted water till tender with a fork. Drain. Put back in pot. Add some sour cream. Now add one more big scoop of sour cream (a little too much is the perfect touch.) Douse with garlic salt (Mind you I make at least 5 pounds of potatoes at a time and remember my disclosure of me forgetting salt... it may not be as much as you think.) And mash, skins and all.

My improv green bean casserole goes something like this.

INGREDIENTS
3 cans of green beans
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
French fried onions

Mix beans and soup together in a large casserole dish that has a lid. Top with French Fried Onions. Cover with lid and place in oven preheated at 350 degrees. Cook for a half an hour.



Ah, comfort food!



The amazing meal!

Thanks to my great friends (Kat, Steph, Francis, Steve, and Matt) we also had plenty of wine, Guinness and Guinness cake. awesomeness!

2 comments:

  1. Looks incredible! I can almost smell it from here . . . sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great meal. St. Pattys on Wed was lame, but glad you got the chance to celebrate later.

    ReplyDelete